The native plants in the rain garden develop deep root systems that control erosion, and filter the rain water coming down the slope behind the garden. As the water flows off the street above, it is filtered by our rain garden and the connecting Civic Plaza Wetland Restoration Project before reaching the adjacent waterway.
But the rain garden does more than help keep our Iowa waterways clean!
Each year the bright and cheerful flowers of the rain garden entice beneficial insects to the Enabling Garden. These native plants are left standing over winter to create a haven for pollinators during the cold winter.
Rain Garden Renovations
The rain garden was established in 2006/2007, and now it’s time to renovate in 2016. We will begin by thinning out the tall natives shading out shorter natives. We will also remove non-native weeds that have found their way into the garden during the past decade.
Once the planting has been revitalized, volunteers will install more paths and signs. Visitors will be able to get up close to the vast ecosystem that lives in our rain garden.
Rain Garden Plant List
- Joe-Pye Weed Eupatorium maculatium ~ Aster family
- Fireweed Epilorium
- Indian Grass Sorghastrum nutcins ~ Grass family
- New England Aster Aster novae-angliae ~ Aster family
- Prairie Blazingstar Liateris pyenostachya
- Royal Catchfly Silene regia ~ Pink family caryophyllacae
- Cardinal flower Lobelia cardinalis ~ Bellflower family
- Prairie Dock Silphium trebinthinaceum
- Silky Aster Aster sericeus ~ Aster family
- Horary vervain Verbena stricuta ~ Verbane family
- Rough Blazingstar Liatris aspera ~ Aster family
- Prairie phlox ~ Phlox pilosa ~ Phlox family
- Turtlehead Chelone
- Culver’s Root Veronicastrum virginicum ~ Snapdragon family
- Coneflower Echinacea purpurea
- Sneezeweed Helenium autumnale
- Pale Purple Coneflower Echinacea pallida
- Anise Hyssop
- Stiff Goldenrod Solidago rigida
- Coreopsis Coreopsis grandiflora large flower Coreopsis
- Buffalo grass
- Black-eyed Susan Rudbeckia hirta
- St John’sWort Hypericum sphaerocarpum
- Prairie Smoke Geum triflorum
- Golden Alexendar Zizia aurea
- Butterflu weed Asclepias tuberosa
- Cream Gentian Gentian andrewsii
- Illinois Bundleweed Des Manthus illinoensis
- Boneset Eupatorium perfoliatum
- Prairie Dropseed Sporobolus hetrolepia
- White Praire clover Dalea purpura
- Canada anemone Anemone candadensis